Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Oil Spill

Over the weekend about 30,000 gallons of oil spilled from a pipeline into Red Butte Creek and made its way to Liberty Pond at Liberty Park and to the Jordan River. Since I live a mere four blocks from Liberty and go there almost daily during the summer I find it upsetting that this is happening so close to home. When I took Aven and Grace to the park this morning I also took my camera along:

The top image is the original image and I modified the colors in the bottom image using Photoshop. I was trying to go extreme enough that the image looked more abstract than the original and possibly more surreal. In the end I think the original has a much bigger gross-out factor.

The top is the original and the bottom has been modified in Photoshop no more than I could modify it in a traditional darkroom. While the top image is definitely yucky, I think the bottom image does have a sense of beauty- especially if you have no idea what the photograph is depicting.

Here's to a quick and complete clean-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment