Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Beginning

I have a degree in Fine Art, I teach art to middle schoolers, and I'm starting to come out of the fog of my first year as a mother. The only art that I have made is the last two years, with the exception of a single series of photographs, has been specifically for my middle school students- examples of stuff I want them to do. I have been feeling the need to get back to making art for myself and for my own enjoyment. In other words, I need an outlet. I have also been hearing my art professors in my head repeating statistics like "90% of people who leave college with a B.F.A. never make art again", or something to that effect. I don't want to be that person anymore. I hope that this blog will be a humble way to display some of my efforts to get back to my creative side in many different mediums.

While I was working on my art degree I painted, drew, photographed, and made pottery. The professors over my program had a very post-modern mind-set and didn't seem to have a lot of respect for anything that could be described with the term "arts and crafts". With that in mind, I share my first Creative Exploit:


A few months ago a friend of mine posted a picture on her blog of a stuffed animal she had made for her daughter. I loved the idea, and since I am tightly wrapped around my daughter's finger I was excited to make something for her. I had never worked from a pattern before and have very rudimentary sewing skills, but I did it. Not perfect, but pretty dang cute.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, great idea for a blog. Your stuffed animal is so cute.
    I unfortunately am one of those 90% who doesn't make art anymore... I tell Ben that going to art school beat the art right out of me. Sad huh. I think I will try it again sometime, but for now I just keep a sketchbook. I can't wait to see your work!

    ReplyDelete