Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pish Posh

Aven is getting to the age where she really loves being read to. We've done story time since she was a baby, but it's only been the last few months that she actually wants to sit in my lap instead of playing during story time. One of her current favorites (much to my delight) is Pish, Posh, said Hieronymous Bosch, a charming story about the artist Hieronymous Bosch and all of the crazy creatures he painted. It's made me realize that I don't know much about Hieronymous Bosch as the art history program at Westminster College was seriously lacking at the time I was a student there. After spending some time with his paintings I've decided to post one of my favorites:

This is a detail from "The Garden of Earthly Delights" otherwise known as "Tree Man". I think it's fascinating considering that Bosch lived in the late 1400's and early 1500's and the Surrealist movement didn't get started until the 1920's. This type of imagery seems incredibly advanced especially when you compare it side by side with other paintings from this era. I've enjoyed looking at his paintings, especially the triptychs. Each one is a world of it's own full of so much detail you could get lost in it for a long time.

If you have some spare time Google Hieronymous Bosch and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am delighted that she love this book. I have a Picasso one for Addie and she calls it her "scary" book... I'm not sure if I'm doing damage there or what. You and Ian should come out here and we'll do an art history tour, wouldn't that be great?

    ReplyDelete